Saturday 24 May 2008

Inside the battle for Lebanon

"The shooting became much louder and we realised it was coming directly towards our house. We heard my dad yell: "Where are you?" and we opened the door for him. The gunshots, which had been muffled by the door, were suddenly much louder.

My dad limped into the bathroom. We saw that a piece of shrapnel had gone into his leg. He had been lying in bed when a bullet came through the window, ricocheted off the wall and hit him. As he was limping into the bathroom I peeped out of the door and saw that all the windows on the outside of the house had been smashed by gunfire. He came in and we quickly closed the door.

We waited for about 15 minutes. My dad couldn’t take the pain of the bullet, it was really hurting him. We didn’t want to turn on the lights for fear of the people outside seeing and shooting at us. By candlelight, I edged the bullet out of his leg. It wasn’t the whole bullet, just a piece of it, but it had gone into his leg at a 45-degree angle and lodged itself between his skin and muscle. I had to push it from behind to tease it out slowly. Then I cleaned his wound and put a bandage on him."

Great interview with a 12 year-old stuck in the middle of the fighting in Beirut, conducted by one of the city's most up-and-coming journalists, James Goodman.

No comments: